Saturday, March 29, 2014

The hospital friend.

I set aside time Friday morning to walk with Lisa, who I talk to frequently but don't see nearly often enough. The last time we had plans I cancelled because one of the Pinks was sick and needed me. The sick and needy part doesn't happen very often, either.

So on Friday morning I got up and dressed for walking, and then ended up in the Emergency Room with a hysterical child. This child is witty to begin with and she's downright hilarious when she's on the verge. Eleven hours later we left the hospital with a diagnosis of something exceptionally rare for a child. This was one of those times I wished one was less exceptional. And so I cancelled on Lisa again.

Being the kind of friend she is, Lisa offered to pick up Eldest Daughter at school. And Eldest Daughter, who could have driven herself, then talked Lisa into dropping her and the unaffected twin off at the hospital to see The Patient. Of course she came in, too, since I needed a hug and I was getting tired of holding it all together.

Lisa has become my hospital friend. She is good, okay great, in a crisis and is tolerant of bureaucracy. She is super reassuring. She talks without babbling. She listens without judging. Lisa was in the waiting room when our children were born. She took me to the hospital a few times while I was pregnant. And she took in Eldest Daughter when Dave and I needed to make hospital runs in the middle of the night. Yes, runs. Plural. Even when her husband had the flu.

I didn't realize I had an official hospital friend until yesterday. I'm grateful for her. Hopefully you don't need a hospital friend.

1 comment:

Postcards From The Hedge said...

I'm so sorry you had to go thru this! and you have great friends because you are a great friend. hugs.